Sharing Is Caring But Not Chocolate With Your Dog!

We haven’t blogged for a while with getting the new website launched so thought it would be helpful to share some info on why it’s important to avoid sharing chocolate with your four legged pal this Easter.

I am sure many of you experienced dog owners out there are aware of the dangers and know not to leave a stash of chocolate within reach of your pooch but mistakes can happen and it’s real life, sometimes your child is the one to share their chocolate when your back is turned.

The most important thing is to remain calm and to seek advice from your veterinarian.  It might be that your dog has only had a tiny bit and in which case it might be absolutely fine but you have to be prepared just in case.

Reactions can vary depending on the dogs breed, size and weight and can take up to 12 hours to show, but there are some common symptoms to look out for which may indicate he has ingested some chocolate.

These include the following :

  • Vomiting
  • Increased Urination
  • Dehydration
  • Abdominal pains
  • Restlessness
  • Muscle tremors
  • Irregular heart rhythm
  • High body temperature
  • Seizures & potentially collapsing

Why is chocolate harmful?

Ok so now for the science part.…

It’s all about the chemical theobromine present in chocolate which is poisonous to dogs and other animals. Generally the darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is for dogs as it’ll contain more of the theobromine chemical, so think of your Lindt 70% Dark noir as an example.  White chocolate contains small amounts of the chemical but it’s very unlikely to cause poisoning so although it’s not ideal it’s not as likely to poison your dog.

Easter is almost upon us, come on spring weather! It is however when many veterinary surgeries will get a lot of calls about chocolate ingestion.  Do try to be vigilant, especially if you have small children and you plan on turning your back garden into an Easter egg hunt. Also look out for things like wrappers; although they aren’t poisonous, they can cause obstruction in your dog’s throats or bowels if eaten.

What to do if your dog consumes chocolate

Often your dog will vomit on his or her own but if you’re worried; there are calculators like this one chocolate toxicity calculator to help pet owners determine whether or not your dog has consumed a poisonous quantity of chocolate. If your dog continues to be in distress go straight to your vets. It’ll be helpful for your vet, if you know what type of chocolate they ate and how much.

We hope this has been helpful and that you have a fantastic Easter with your furry friends!

From all at Central Pet Cremations xx